One of the most powerful features of PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager is the ability for system Administrators to have a set of pre-defined queries set up in the system that the user community can use to perform all of their basic tasks. Often times though, out of necessity, those administrator queries are quite generalized, and the end-users will want to see a result set more tailored to what they are looking for.
In this article, I am going to discuss three ways in which users can potentially narrow down the results of a query in PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager to be more in tune with what they may be looking for. These three ways are using a project filter, using the query builder to add additional criteria, and the “Show Items containing” filter. If we take a simple Admin provided query like for example the “All Documents” query as shown below, I’ll demonstrate how you can modify the results of that query by each of the three methods above.
- The first of these methods appears under the View -> Options menu, where you can elect to show the project filter:
In this case we selected the Monitor-R1 project as our project filter. This means that once we have refreshed the query, the amount of items returned will be reduced to those items that have a value define for the Project field that corresponds to the project filter.
- The second method is also available through the View -> Options menu. Here, you can choose to show the Query Builder. Through the query builder you can add or change the query criteria of your most recently executed query:
In this case I’ve added the “Summary” contains “Feature” to the pre-existing query criteria, and as you can see once we refresh the query the result set is greatly reduced.
- Lastly, and probably the simplest way to narrow down your result set is to use the “Show items containing” filter to the query results. In this case I entered the value “Test” into the “Show items containing” field thus further reducing my sample set down to one item.
By using these three methods users of PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager can narrow down the results of their queries to a list more suited to the task they are currently performing.
- Contact SPK and Associates to see how we can help your organization with our ALM, PLM, and Engineering Tools Support services.
- Read our White Papers & Case Studies for examples of how SPK leverages technology to advance engineering and business for our clients.